Sunday, February 9, 2014

Decision Simplifying Equation

I have been engaging in public speaking for a bit now. Most of the times, I end up talking about entrepreneurship, multi-tasking and technology. My audience is either soon-be-graduating students or entry-level professionals. After the talk I get email enquires which I promptly reply as well. In such inquiry mails, I have seen a trend. Most people are confused about how to evaluate situations or people before making their choices. Personally, I have often found myself in similar situations and have tried to come up with an equation just to make my life a little easier (Also, being Statistical Modeling professional, I prefer equations which I can plug-and-play values for better clarity.)

So what is this ‘decision simplifying equation’ and why do I call it so? I’m totally against giving advice and trust adults need to make their own decisions. Lack of decision making ability implies lack of vision. You don’t need to be ‘visionary’, but not having a vision is not pardonable. The biggest problem with those without a vision, end up following someone else’s. When someone comes to me for advice, I believe it is my duty to help people analyze their situations, and let them make their own choices. Here is a generic guideline to analyze a situation or perhaps even people. (Yes, there is a difference in between analyzing someone and judging someone.)

Situations usually have some positive factors and some negative. If a situation is all positive or all negative, the choice is very straightforward. Let us say, a situation S is described as a combination of positives (P1, P2, P3…) and negatives (N1, N2, N3…). Let’s say you want to determine a prospective outcome O, which will simplify your decision. Intuitively, it is tempting to express O = (P1+ P2+P3+…) – (N1+N2+N3+…). Well, this is where I differ. I view, O = Largest (N1, N2, N3…). Let me put it numbers, to simplify this concept.

Say, S is dependent on P(1,7,3,4) and N(2,4,1).
In this case,        
O ≠ (1+7+3+4) – (2+4+1)
O ≠ 15 – 7
O ≠ 8
But O = Largest (2, 4, 1). O = - 4


To put the above equations in English, our outcomes depend mostly on the greatest negative factor that is associated with it. Knowing the biggest negative factor helps us understand the most dreadful prospective outcome. This helps us decide in favor or against the choices we are poised with. The positive factors are just bonus and we should not get carried away, relying on them. The additional trick is to evaluate each of the associated factors correctly, which comes with experience and discretion. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one Vijay...

Vijay Nadadur said...

Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Own photo branding in this blog? I liked your writing style, but don't agree with the content. I'm also a writer.

Vijay Nadadur said...

Thanks for your remarks. Used own photo, without much reasoning, certainly not for branding!

Interesting, you liked the style, but not the content. Perhaps you being a writer gives you such a perspective.